The Town of Kearny provides a full and diverse selection of recreational programs for all age groups. We also offer many sport leagues that are traditionally played during the sport-specific-season.
- Fall & Winter Programs
- Recreational Complexes
- Registration Fees
- Spring & Summer Programs
The Kearny Recreation Department is in constant need of coaches and volunteers for our programs. All coaches/volunteers are required to submit a Coaches/Volunteer Application and a fingerprint background check.. Please consider volunteering in any of our programs. Office hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 A.M to 5:00 P.M.
The Kearny Recreation Commission Board meets on the 3rd Wednesday of each month in the Town Council Chambers at 7:30 p.m.
- Basketball - open to all boys & girls grades 1 through 8. Registrations start in October with practices and games being held at Franklin, Schuyler and Washington Schools.
- Bowling - our 12-week program is open to all boys & girls ages 5 through 14. The fall season starts in the end of September with registrations beginning September 1st. The winter season begins in January with registrations beginning in December. Our Bowling program is held at the North Arlington Bowl-O-Drome on Fridays.
- Cheerleading - open to girls grades 2 through 8. This program parallels our KURC Football Program season, which runs September through November. Registrations and Tryouts are usually held in May/June.
- Dance - an 8 week program for all boys and girls ages 6 through 12. Classes held on Tuesday evening at Hartung Center 925 Passaic Avenue.
- Flag Football - The program is open to all boys and girls ages 4 through 6 with registrations beginning in June. The season runs September through early November.
- Fall Baseball - open to all boys and girls ages 7 through 12 with registrations starting in June.
- Karate — open to all boys & girls ages 5 through 15. This 10 week program is offered in the fall, winter, spring and summer with registrations in September, December, March and May. Classes are conducted by Kids Safe Karate at Hartung Recreation Center .
- KURC Football - open to all boys ages 7 through 14. We offer mighty mite, pee wee, junior varsity and varsity divisions. Season begins August 1 through November. Practices and games are held at Veteran’s Field on Belgrove Drive.
- Pool - our open pool program runs from September to December on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 6:00pm to 9:00pm at Linclon School Pool.
- Soccer - Open to all boys & girls grades pre-K through 8. Registrations begin in May and concludes July 1st. Children must be entering pre-k as of September.
- Street Hockey —open to all boys & girls ages 6 through 18. Registration will begin September .
- Theatre/Acting —an 8 week class offered in introduction and Intermediate acting. This program is open to all boys & girls grades 2 through 8. Registration are held in September. .
- Walk for Fitness - This program is open to all adult men and women and is held at the Kearny High School Cafeteria Area located off of King Street on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday Evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Wrestling - open to boys and girls ages 6 through 14. Registration begin in November and participants compete against other communities. Practices are on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.at Lincoln School.
- Yoga - open to all residents ages 13 and older. The program is offered throughout the year on Monday and Wednesday evenings at the Hartung Recreational CenTer at 925 Passaic Avenue. the cost is $60.00 for one night or $80.00 for both nights.
Arlington Depot Park located on Garafola Place between Elm & Forest Streets.
Al Stewart Ecology Park located on the east side of Passaic Avenue near South Midland Avenue.
Kearny Riverbank Park located on the west side of Passaic Avenue between Bergen Avenue and Belleville Turnpike. Listed below are dedicated sections of Riverbank Park to numerous dignitaries and Veteran’s:
- Christopher Columbus Park
- Irish Heritage Park –dedicated to Reverend Monsignor Joseph A. Carroll
- Centennial Orchard Park
- Frank M. Cardoza Park
- Keating Cove - Dedicated to Bernard J. Keating.
- Chantilly Park — Dedicated in memory to the Battle of Chantilly.
- Wallace Glen— Dedicated to Sir William Wallace and Councilman David A. Wallace.
- Joseph M. Healey - dedicated to the former Mayor & Councilman.
- Daniel T. Sansone—Dedicated to the former Mayor & Councilman.
- Henry J. Hill—Dedicated to the former Mayor & Councilman.
- Norman A. Doyle— Dedicated to the former Councilman.
- Veteran’s Memorial Park—Dedicated to all Veteran’s.
Memorial Park located on Kearny Avenue & Beech St. near Quincy Avenue.
Town Hall Bi-Centennial Park located on Kearny Avenue next to Town Hall.
Washington Park located on Washington Avenue and Washington Place.
- Donald Scott Memorial Playground located on the corner of Belgrove Drive and Park Ave.
- Bell Playground located on Stewart Avenue between Chestnut St. and Devon St.
- Coogan Playground located on W. Bennett Ave. between Hamilton Ave. and Jefferson St.
- Dean Park located on the corners of Elm Street and Columbia Avenue
- Dowd Playground located on Devon Terr. And Hoyt St. between Davis Ave. and Devon St.
- Miglin Playground located on the corner of Johnston Ave. and Sheridan Ave.
- Pettigrew Playground located on the of Highland Ave. and Woodland Ave.
- Rogers Playground located on the corner of Hickory St. and Oakwood Ave.
- Tappan Playground located on Tappan St. between Davis Ave. and Devon St.
- Windsor/Grove Playground located on the corner of Windsor and Grove Streets..
- Archery Range— located at Kearny Riverbank Park on Passaic Avenue near Bergen Avenue allows for the set-up and practice of bow and arrow target practices.
- Corbett Street /Roller Hockey Facility— our newly constructed facility is located at Kearny Riverbank Park on Passaic Avenue near Afton Street.
- Frank A. Vincent Marina— located at Kearny Riverbank Park on Passaic Avenue near Bergen Avenue allows public launch and retrieval of boats up to 22’ in length with trailer and hitch.
- Gunnell Oval Complex located at 490 Schuyler Avenue. The complex is home to 6 baseball field, 3 soccer fields, 1 softball field, 1 basketball court and 1 playground area.
- Harvey Field Complex located at 280 Schuyler Avenue has 3 soccer fields, 1 baseball field and 1 playground area.
- Hartung Recreational Center located at 925 Passaic Avenue.
- Thistle F.C. Futsal Facility — located at Kearny Riverbank on Passaic Avenue near Bergen Avenue is a practice soccer facility that enables the instruction and practice of soccer skills.
- Veteran’s Field located on Belgrove Drive near Bergen Avenue. The complex has 1 little league baseball field, and 1 combination football and softball field .
All playgrounds are open 9:00 a.m. to dusk.
Please be advised that on inclement weather days all playgrounds are closed.
For directions to our playgrounds kindly call 201-955-7983.
|Bowling||$8.00 per @12 weeks per season.|
$10.00 for Seniors and $20.00 for ages 21 through 61.
$50.00 per 10 week session
|Men's Softball||$350.00 per team|
|Pool||ages 0 to 12 =$20.00 ages 13 to 61=$30.00 Seniors 62 & older= $10.00|
Summer All Day Playground
$110.00 per week
|Yoga||$60.00 one night $80.00 both nights|
- Art Class- our program is conducted by Ms. Desiree Mills at the Hartung Recreational Center. Classes run throughout the year.
- Tee Ball – open to all boys & girls ages 5 to 6. Games are played at Gunnell Oval beginning in April. Registrations start in January. .
- Minor League – open to all 7 & 8 year old boys & girls. Registrations start in January. .
- Little League – open to all boys & girls ages 9 through 12 (must turn 9 or turn 13 before or after May 1st.) Registrations start in January with tryouts being held in March.
- Senior Baseball– open to teens ages 13, 14 and 15 with registrations beginning in January.
- American Legion Baseball – open to all boys ages 15 to 18. Registrations are held in April with tryouts following. This is a traveling baseball team.
- Girls Softball – open to all girls grades Pre-K through 8. Registrations starting in January.
- Dance – an eight week program offered in the fall and spring & open to all boys & girls ages 5 through 12. .
- Golf – Our Open/Senior Golf is open to all Kearny residents 21 years of age and older. The Kearny Recreation Department will supply the cost for all power carts only. All other fees are golfers responsibility. .
- Karate – open to all boys & Girls ages 5 through 15. This 10 week program is offered in the fall, winter and spring with registrations in September, December and March. Classes are conducted by Kids Safe Karate
- .Men’s Softball– teams consist of adult men ages 18 or older that enjoy recreation team play.
- Open Pool – open to residents of the Town of Kearny. The pool will open on the first Monday after school ends for the summer. Hours are Monday through Friday from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00pm and 6:00pm to 8:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Children 10 & under must be accompanied in the pool by an adult. Fee Badges are required.
- Summer Playground Program – The Kearny Recreation Department offers an Open Summer Playground Program at various town playgrounds. The program begins the first Monday after school ends for the summer from 10:00am to 3:00pm. The Recreation Department offers an All-Day Summer Program held Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 4:00pm. There is a fee of $110.00 per week , per child. This fee includes all activities and trips.
- Theatre/Acting – classes are offered in introduction and Intermediate acting. This program is open to all boys & girls grades 2 through 8. Registration are held in March.
- Walk for Fitness - This program is open to all adult men and women and is held at the Kearny High School Track on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday Evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Yoga - open to all residents ages 13 to adult. classes are held on Monday and Wednesday evenings at the Hartung Recreational Center, 925 Passaic Avenue. The cost is $60.00 for one night or $80.00 for both nights.
Ralph A. Cattafi, Assistant Recreation Supervisor
Lyla DeCastro Lawdanski, Chairwoman
Lewis Battista, Vice Chairman
Stephen Amadeo, Alternate
Nelson Rodrigues, Alternate
TOWN COUNCIL RECREATION LIAISONS
Councilman Michael Landy
Councilwoman Alexa Arce
Councilwoman Laura Pettigrew
Recreation Commission meets at 7:30 p.m. on the 3rd Wednesday of every month at the Town Hall in the Council Chamber, 402 Kearny Avenue, Kearny, NJ 07032.
402 Kearny Avenue
Kearny, NJ 07032