The Town of Kearny provides a full and diverse selection of recreational programs for all age groups. We also offer many sport leagues that are traditionally played during the sport-specific-season.
- Fall & Winter Programs
- Recreational Complexes
- Registration Fees
- Spring & Summer Programs
The Kearny Recreation Department is constant need of coaches and volunteers for our programs. All coaches/volunteers are required to submit a Coaches/Volunteer Application and a fingerprint background check.. Please consider volunteering in any of programs. Office hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 A.M to 5:00 P.M.
The Kearny Recreation Commission Board meets on the 3rd Wednesday of each month in the Town Council Chambers at 7:30 p.m.
- Basketball - open to all boys & girls ages 6 through 15. Registrations are held in October. Practices and games are held at Roosevelt, Schuyler, Franklin and Washington Schools.
- Bowling - our 12-week program open to all boys & girls ages 5 through 14. the fall season starts end of September with registrations beginning September 1st. The winter season begins in January with registrations beginning in December. Our Bowling program is held at the North Arlington Bowl-O-Drome on Fridays.
- Cheerleading - open to girls ages 8 through 14. this program parallels our KURC Football Program. Seasons runs September through November. Registrations and Tryouts are usually held in May.
- Dance - an 8 week program with for all boys and girls ages 6 through 12. Classes held on Tuesday evening at Roosevelt School.
- Karate — open to all boys & Girls ages 6 through 15. This 10 week program is offered in the fall, winter and spring. With registrations in September, December and March. Classes are conducted by Kids Safe Karate at Franklin School.
- KURC Football - open to all boys ages 8 through 14. We offer a pee wee, junior varsity and varsity divisions. Season begins August 1 through November. Practices and games are held at Veteran’s Field on Belgrove Drive.
- Soccer - Open to all boys & girls ages 6 through 13. Registrations begin in may and conclude August 1st. .
- Street Hockey —open to all boys & girls ages 6 through 18. Registration will begin August .
- Theatre/Acting —an 8 week class offered in introduction and Intermediate acting. This program is open to all boys & girls grades 2 through 8. Registration are held in September. .
- Walk for Fitness - This program is open to all adult men and women and is held at the Kearny High School Cafeteria Area located off of King Street on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday Evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.-
- Wrestling - open to boys and girls ages 6 through 14. registration is held in November and participants compete against other communities. Practices are on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday with matches on Saturday at Lincoln School.
Arlington Depot Park located on Garafola Place between Elm & Forest Streets.
Al Stewart Ecology Park located on the east side of Passaic Avenue near South Midland Avenue.
Kearny Riverbank Park located on the west side of Passaic Avenue between Bergen Avenue and Belleville Turnpike. Listed below are dedicated sections of Riverbank Park to numerous dignitaries and Veteran’s:
- Christopher Columbus Park
- Irish Heritage Park –dedicated to Reverend Monsignor Joseph A. Carroll
- Centennial Orchard Park
- Keating Cove - Dedicated to Bernard J. Keating.
- Chantilly Park — Dedicated in memory to the Battle of Chantilly.
- Wallace Glen— Dedicated to Sir William Wallace and Councilman David A. Wallace.
- Joseph M. Healey - dedicated to the former Mayor & Councilman.
- Daniel T. Sansone—Dedicated to the former Mayor & Councilman.
- Henry J. Hill—Dedicated to the former Mayor & Councilman.
- Norman A. Doyle— Dedicated to the former Councilman.
- Veteran’s Memorial Park—Dedicated to all Veteran’s.
Memorial Park located on Kearny Avenue & Beech St. near Quincy Avenue.
Town Hall Bi-Centennial Park located on Kearny Avenue next to Town Hall.
Washington Park located on Washington Avenue and Washington Place.
- Belgrove Drive Playground located on the corner of Belgrove Drive and Park Ave.
- Bell Playground located on Stewart Avenue between Chestnut St. and Devon St.
- Coogan Playground ( Manor Park) located on W. Bennett Ave. between Hamilton Ave. and Jefferson St.
- Dowd Playground located on Devon Terr. And Hoyt St. between Davis Ave. and Devon St.
- Miglin Playground located on the corner of Johnston Ave. and Sheridan Ave.
- Pettigrew Playground located on the of Highland Ave. and Woodland Ave.
- Rogers Playground located on the corner of Hickory St. and Oakwood Ave.
- Tappan Playground located on Tappan St. between Davis Ave. and Devon St.
- Windsor/Grove Playground located on the corner of Windsor and Grove Streets.
- A new playground has been opened and is located on the corner of Elm St. & Columbia Ave. In memory of William “Bill” Librizzi.
- Archery Range— located at Kearny Riverbank Park on Passaic Avenue near Bergen Avenue allows for the set-up and practice of bow and arrow target practices.
- Corbett Street /Roller Hockey Facility— our newly constructed facility is located at Kearny Riverbank Park on Passaic Avenue near Afton Street.
- Frank A. Vincent Marina— located at Kearny Riverbank Park on Passaic Avenue near Bergen Avenue allows the public to launch and retrieval of boats up to 22’ in length with trailer and hitch.
- Gunnell Oval Complex located at 490 Schuyler Avenue. The complex is home to 6 baseball field, 3 soccer fields, 1 softball field, 1 basketball court and 1 playground area.
- Harvey Field Complex located at 280 Schuyler Avenue has 3 soccer fields, 1 baseball field and 1 playground area.
- Thistle F.C. Futsal Facility — located at Kearny Riverbank on Passaic Avenue near Bergen Avenue is a practice soccer facility that enables the instruction and practice of soccer skills.
- Veteran’s Field located on Belgrove Drive near Bergen Avenue. The complex has 1 little league baseball field, and 1 combination football and softball field .
All playgrounds are open 9:00 a.m. to dusk.
Please be advised that on inclement weather days all playgrounds are closed.
For directions to our playgrounds kindly call 201-955-7983.
|Bowling||$6.00 per @12 weeks per season.|
|Karate||$65.00 per 10 week session|
|Learn to Swim||$25.00 per 5-week session|
|Men’s Softball||$300.00 or depending on registered teams|
|Women’s Softball||$300.00 or depends on registered teams.|
- Mini-Minor/Tee Ball – open to all boys & girls ages 5 to 6. Games are played at Gunnell Oval beginning in May. Registrations are held in February. .
- Minor League – open to all boys & girls ages 7 to 8. Registrations are held in February. .
- Major-Minor League – open to all boys & girls ages 9 to 12. Registrations are held in February .
- Little League – open to all boys & girls ages 9 through 12 (must be 12 before August 1st.) Registrations are held in February with tryouts in March.
- Pony Baseball– open to teens ages 13 to 14. Registrations begin in August with try-outs in early September. League play is held from April through June.
- Mickey Mantle Baseball – open to boys ages 15 to 16. Registrations are held in early May with tryouts following. This is a traveling baseball team with games played during the week and on Saturday’s.
- American Legion Baseball – open to all boys ages 15 to 18. Registrations are held in early May with tryouts following. This is a traveling baseball team.
- Girls Softball – open to all girls grades K through 8. Registrations are held February.
- Dance – an eight week program offered in the fall and spring & open to all boys & girls ages 6 through 12. Classes are held at Roosevelt School on Tuesday evenings. Registrations are held in September and February.
- Golf – Our Open/Senior Golf is open to all Kearny residents 21 years of age and older. The Kearny Recreation Department will supply the cost for all power carts. All other fees are golfers responsibility. Golf play is at Weequahic Park in Newark.
- Karate – open to all boys & Girls ages 6 through 15. This 10 week program is offered in the fall, winter and spring. With registrations in September, December and March. Classes are conducted by Kids Safe Karate at Franklin School. A $65.00 Registration is required.
- Learn by Doing - this 8 week program open to all boys and girls ages 7 through 18, who may be developmentally challenged or having problems with English as a seconded language, offered during the summer Monday through Friday from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Registrations are held in May & June. This program is held at the City of Hope School located on 172 Midland Avenue.
- Learn to Swim – an instructional swim program to teach you’re child how to swim. This program is offered all year round and is open to children and adults ages 4 & up. All lessons are conducted at the Lincoln School Pool.
- Men’s Softball– teams consist of adult men ages 18 or older that enjoy competitive team play. Registrations starts in February with league games played April through June. A minimum of 12 players are required.
- Open Pool – open to residents of the Town of Kearny. The pool will open on Monday, June 27, 2005 Monday through Friday from 1:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Children 10 & under must be accompanied in the pool by an adult. Fee Badges are required.
- Soccer - Open to all boys & girls ages 6 through 13. Registrations begin in may and conclude August 1st. The league will begin in September.
- Street Hockey – open to all boys & girls ages 6 through 18. Registration will begin April for our spring league. There is a possibility of a Roller Hockey League as well.
- Summer Playground Program – The Kearny Recreation Department offers an open and all day Summer Playground Program at various playgrounds and schools within the Town. This year our program will begin on Monday, June 27, 2005 through Friday, August 19, 2005 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Theatre/Acting – classes are offered in introduction and Intermediate acting. This program is open to all boys & girls grades 2 through 8. Registration are held in March.
- Walk for Fitness - This program is open to all adult men and women and is held at the Kearny High School Track on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday Evenings from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Women’s Softball – teams consist of adult woman 18 & older that enjoy competitive play. Registrations begin in February with games played April through June.
Ralph A. Cattafi, Assistant Recreation Supervisor
Lyla DeCastro Lawdanski, Chairwoman
Lewis Battista, Vice Chairman
Stephen Amadeo, Alternate
Nelson Rodrigues, Alternate
TOWN COUNCIL RECREATION LIAISONS
Councilman Michael Landy
Councilwoman Alexa Arce
Recreation Commission meets at 7:30 p.m. on the 3rd Wednesday of every month at the Town Hall in the Council Chamber, 402 Kearny Avenue, Kearny, NJ 07032.
402 Kearny Avenue
Kearny, NJ 07032