To be eligible for employment with the Town of Kearny, the following residential preferences shall apply:
1. Residents of the Town of Kearny and the City of Newark
2. Hudson and Essex Counties
3. State of New Jersey
All job vacancies are advertised in the Sunday, Star Ledger, Saturday, Jersey Journal, the Kearny Observer and various unemployment offices, local community colleges and Urban Leagues.
This Employer Participates in E-Verify. Click here for details
We do not accept applications by email or fax
Resumes must include a completed employment application
Applications must be submitted prior to the posted deadline date
Submit completed applications to:
Town of Kearny Personnel Office
402 Kearny Avenue
Kearny, NJ 07032
Applications will only be accepted for the positions listed below:
Building Subcode Official
Full time provisional position. Under direction of the Construction Official, has the subordinate administrative responsibility for administering the building subcode of the State Uniform Construction Code within the jurisdiction, and inspects and/or supervises the inspection of buildings in construction projects underway to ensure that compliance with plans and specifications approved in accord with State Uniform Construction Code is achieved; does other related duties. Valid NJ driver’s license and HHS license required. 35 hours per week. Salary $69,241 with health benefit package. Position is provisional and subject to the Civil Service exam process. Application deadline: 9/19 Click here for application Click here for Civil Service job description
Civil Service exam for part time Sanitation Inspector. Salary $11—$14 per hour, 24.5 hours per week Civil Service on-line application available from 09/14 to 10/05/16.
Under direction, conducts inspections and investigations to enforce codes, ordinances, and other standards related to collection and disposal of refuse and litter; does related work as required.
Examples of work:
· Walks or rides in a vehicle to visually examine the placement, containment, separation, and condition of refuse.
· Visually examines the condition of refuse to detect deviation from standards contained in ordinances for codes for refuse and litter.
· Notes improper or failure to pick up refuse and other conditions and records and reports information.
· Explains codes and ordinances to residents; encourages compliance, clarifies code requirements and other regulatory guidelines, and suggest methods for correcting violations.
· Investigates complaints filed by residents, collection crews, and others.
· Issues notices of violation to inform violators of failure to comply with codes or ordinances, and to warn of possible court action.
· May issue notices of violation for conditions that prevent or impede work crews from completing their assignments.
· As part of a team, may work on special community cleanup projects to eliminate refuse, litter, or other unsightly or unsafe conditions.
· Prepares written reports of inspections and numbers and types of violation notices issued.
· May testify in court to present information regarding incident.
· Will be required to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and computerized information systems
Part time per diem bus drivers needed to transport residents on local routes. Must possess a valid NJ driver’s license CDL class B, passenger endorsement. Shifts: Mon – Fri, 8am – 4pm or Sat – Sun 8am – 1pm. Salary up to $22 per hour. Click here for Civil Service job description Click here for application EOE/ADA
Nurse needed in Public Health Dept. to work 9 to 12 hours per month. NJ registered nursing license req. Duties include baby well clinic, child immunizations, adult preventative programs and other related duties. Salary $17.50 – 23.50 hr. Bilingual preferred. Submit resume and copy of license with application. For application, click here. EOE/ADA
We are accepting applications to keep on file for future vacancies. Shifts include 8am-9:15am, 11am-1pm, 2:15pm-4:00pm. Applicants must be available for all shifts. Valid NJ dirivers license required. $16.05 hr. Click here for job description Click here for application EOE/ADA
Public Safety Telecommunicator Trainee
We are accepting application to keep on file for future vacancies. The position receives and responds to telephone requests for emergency assistance, fire, medical or other emergency services, dispatches appropriate units to response sites and other related work as required. Part time position to work 10 / 12 hour shifts for a total of 24 hours per week. Shifts include days, nights, weekends and holidays. One (1) year experience in dispatching emergency vehicles preferred. PSAP certification a plus. Salary: $15.25 per hour. Click here for Civil Service job description. Click here for application.